Monday, February 7, 2011

Grilled ribeyes with blue cheese and a lowfat dipping sauce for artichokes

image: mine
Menu: Grilled ribeyes with blue cheese, roasted petite potatoes, grilled green beans, and steamed artichokes with a yogurt and mayonnaise dipping sauce.

Grilling is one of my favorite ways to prepare a meal--and one of my favorite meats to grill is ribeyes. They take such little prep; I hardly ever do more than brush them with oil, give them a healthy dosing of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides and let them sit at room temp for 15 minutes or so before they go on the grill (where they sit for about four minutes on each side).

Last night, I added a layer of blue cheese to the steaks when I flipped them--which, it turns out, really went well with a new (and very simple) recipe I had prepared ahead of time for steamed artichokes*: Low Fat Dipping Sauce with Dill. I tweaked the sauce so that it was entirely nonfat, whisking together two parts nonfat Greek yogurt to one part nonfat mayonnaise, grating the garlic and using lemon juice and dill seasoning. The garlic gives the sauce a good kick--we loved it.

And I ended up dipping more than artichokes in that sauce--it also tasted good with the potatoes and green beans. To prepare the potatoes, I boiled a bag of petite potatoes until they were almost done; when the steaks went on the grill, I roasted them in a 450F oven for about 10 minutes after spraying them with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkling them with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and fresh minced basil (I turned them over and did the same on the other side). I also put some fresh green beans (with a light coat of olive oil, Kosher salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and some basil) on a sheet of foil on the upper rack of the grill above the steaks.

All in all, it was one of our better steak dinners!


*For an easy way to steam artichokes, I cut off the tips and stems, place them stem side up in a microwavable pan, add a quarter to half inch of water, cover with wax paper and microwave on high (10-12 minutes for four medium sized artichokes).

No comments:

Post a Comment