Saturday, February 19, 2011

Recipes: Italian Sausage and Spinach Soup

Tonight, I made this tasty and easy Sausage and Spinach Soup, a recipe I found on allrecipes.com awhile back when I was looking for a recipe to use up some left over spinach. The soup has five basic ingredients:  a half pound of sweet Italian pork sausage (I bought a pound and froze half of it to have on hand to make this soup when we had a craving for it again), four cups of organic chicken stock, a chopped onion, sliced carrots and chopped spinach leaves (I just tore mine) with a bit of dried seasoning and salt. I followed the directions for the most part, browning the sausage on medium high. Instead of adding the rest of the ingredients all at once, I added a chopped sweet onion and the carrots once the sausage was browned, allowing them to saute a bit before I added the chicken stock. Also, instead of oregano, I used dried basil. I served it with a loaf of french bread browned with oil, salt and dried basil.

The soup is really tasty. The only changes I may make next time around is sauteing a little chopped garlic with the sausage and using fresh basil instead of dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment