Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wines: The Crossings Sauvignon Blanc

image: mine

“Wine is sunlight held together by water.” –Galileo Galilei

I'm going to be entirely honest here. I am, for the most part, a wine troglodyte. I couldn't define a delicate oak flavor or velvety tannin if my life depended on it. I still don't know what tannin is. Yes, every so often I sip a wine and my taste buds scream "pepper!" or "grapefruit!" but those moments are few and far between. So, how do I define a good wine? By whether or not I like it when I taste it. Now you know--and you can take my recommendations in the context from which they are given.

And this is one of those recommendations.

Awhile back, my husband and I went out to dinner with friends. The restaurant shared a space with a wine shop, so as we waited to be seated we ambled through and sampled a few vintages at the tasting bar. One of the whites was a sauvignon blanc from New Zealand--and I absolutely loved it. I sought it out the next time I went to Wegmans (which has one of the largest selections of wine in our area) but was disappointed to find out that they didn't carry it. However, the wine guy led me to the New Zealand section and handed me something, it turned out, I liked even more: a bottle of The Crossings Sauvignon Blanc.

It makes me think of Galileo's quote about wine and sunlight every time I take the first sip. And for what it's worth, it's under $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment