Thursday, March 17, 2011

Recipes: an Irish flavored dinner


Who knew Irish food could be so easy--and so good! For St. Patrick's Day this year, I made my very first corned beef, and it couldn't have been more simple. Of course, I probably cheated a bit, as I bought mine already seasoned at Trader Joe's. I followed the directions on the wrapper, emptying the meat, seasonings and juices into a large pot and adding enough water to cover the meat. I brought the whole thing to a boil, turned the heat down, covered the pot and let it simmer for about four hours. About an hour before it was done, I added two small heads of cabbage, cut in eighths.

As side dishes, I sliced up some Trader Joe's Irish soda bread, boiled some carrots (next time I will add them to the simmering pot of corned beef) and made a relatively simple Irish Potato Salad I found at Food.com. I cut the recipe a bit (both in size and fat calories) by using only a little over a pound of potatoes (which I microwaved, then peeled, roughly chopped and sprinkled and mixed with a couple tablespoons of red vinegar), half a sweet onion (chopped), two roughly chopped hard boiled eggs, about a cup of low-fat mayonnaise, salt, pepper and paprika. I was out of celery, and I missed it--but it was still very yummy.

I loaded it all onto plates with dollops of horseradish. By the time I was done eating, I was wishing there more Irish holidays on our calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment