Tuesday, May 17, 2011

recipes: spinach, onion, and bacon frittata


Looking for a great summer meal? This one works for us: a frittata served with roasted tomatoes topped with blue cheese and couscous with garlic and peas.

For the frittata (a kind of crustless quiche), I adapted Martha Stewart's Everyday Food's Spinach, Onion and Bacon Frittata, making it a little lower calorie and lower fat:

4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Egg Beaters (the equivalent of four more eggs)
1 cup chopped vidalia onion
1 box of thawed and then squeezed frozen spinach
1 clove chopped garlic
5 slices cooked bacon, chopped

I prepared all the ingredients first (mixing the eggs and Egg Beaters and adding salt and pepper), set the oven at 425F. Next I prepared the tomatoes by slicing them in half, spraying them with cooking spray, seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkling with blue cheese. I placed them on a folded piece of foil with the edges turned up slightly in case they dripped.


Then I took on the frittata. After spraying an oven safe skillet with cooking spray, I sauteed the onion on medium high until partially softened; then I added the garlic and spinach. After sauteing another minute or two, I added the egg mixture and bacon and stirred it all together quickly. As the recipe instructs, I let it cook until the edges were set (about two minutes). Then I slipped the skillet (along with the tomatoes on their foil sheet) into the oven for about 10 minutes (until the top is firm on the frittata and the blue cheese nicely melted on the tomatoes).

In the meantime, I chopped another clove of garlic and added it to a cup of water in microwave safe bowl. I microwaved the mixture for two minutes, and then mixed in a cup of dry couscous and covered it for five minutes. Just before serving, I added a can of sweet peas and a little salt and mixed it together.

The flavors worked together well--next time I may add some mushrooms to the frittata and some slices of green onion to the couscous. But it was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment